Jazz Institute at Jefferson Center
Jazz Institute at Jefferson Center is a comprehensive camp to teach students about America's art form, jazz. Students participate in a week long program which culminates in a series of final performances and recordings inside Music Lab at Jefferson Center.
Jazz Institute is affordably priced to ensure local teen musicians have every opportunity to attend.
Monday, June 19th - 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday, June 20th – 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Wednesday, June 21st – 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Thursday, June 22nd – 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM + Student Concert (Rehearsal Hall at Jefferson Center – 7:30 PM)
Friday, June 23rd – 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Recording sessions in the Music Lab at Jefferson Center)
Jazz Institute also takes the opportunity to create a scholarship fund in honor of the great jazz pianist, Don Pullen. Our goal is to celebrate the amazing creativity of Roanoke's own jazz master, while supporting a young musician on their path to exploring the world of jazz through quality education and engaging opportunities.
All participants should bring their instruments. We'll supply the drums and pianos/keyboards.
This year's faculty includes:
- Chad Eby - Saxophone
- Brandon Lee - Trumpet
- Daniel Faust - Drums
- Genevieve Palmer - Bass
- Thomas Linger - Piano
The Jefferson Center Jazz Institute will:
- Take place over 5 days during the summer each year
- Offer high profile jazz musicians to teach the students
- Offer opportunities for students to learn all aspects of playing jazz
- Host classes, performances and lecture/demonstrations
- Partner with local schools to implement a higher level of jazz education
- Partner with the Music Lab at Jefferson Center to focus on recording
- Offer performance opportunities for the students and instructors
- Act as a catalyst to promote jazz as an art form to the students and therefore the greater public
- Produce a recording each year with the master musicians and students that will be promoted through the school system.
- Raise money to offer students scholarships to continue jazz training at a higher learning institution.
- Celebrate the music of Roanoke's own Don Pullen.
For questions, please contact Jordan Harman, jharman[at]jeffcenter[dot]org, 540.343.2624 ext:209
Carlisle Floyd's Susannah
Fri, Apr 28
Roanoke Children's Theatre presents "Elephant & Piggie's We Are In A Play!"
Fri, May 5
Shaun Martin at The Spot on Kirk
Tue, May 9
Met Opera Live in HD: Der Rosenkavalier
Sat, May 13